Tuesday 26 May 2015

North Uist...

Got the ferry this morning from Leverburgh, at the southern tip of Harris, to Berneray on North Uist. The weather is no better, with the sky an unrelieved grey, and I’m losing my enthusiasm for this idiosyncratic island landscape. Got a cold, too, which doesn’t help. It’s the last week of May and I’m shivering. I hope the weather will break, and allow me to get some pictures (the barman in the Lochmaddy Hotel tells me this wintry weather is very unusual). My plan was to spend a month exploring the islands from the top - Lewis - to the bottom - Barra, from May 17 to June 17. If the weather doesn’t get any better, I may be taking the Barra-Oban ferry, back to the mainland, before the end of May.

In the meantime I’m going to visit the RSPB reserve at Balranald, and just spend a few hours bird-watching…

The Norse Mill & Kiln, Lewis...


No comments:

Post a Comment