Sunday 22 November 2015

Electricity...

My power supply is reduced at this time of the year, because the roof-mounted solar panel doesn’t contribute as much as it does during the summer months. I have to prioritise. While off-grid I can edit pictures for about three hours before the inverter gives me a warning ‘beep’… reminding me to save what I’m working on and shut down. Camera batteries need charging, as does my tiny digital radio and my rechargeable AA and AAA batteries (used in torch, voice recorder, keyboard and mouse). When I run short of power, I have to either drive the vehicle (which charges up the two leisure batteries) or plug in at a campsite or sit in the dark and hum to myself.

One thing’s for sure: I’m careful to use as little electric power as possible. I switch a light on when I need it, then switch it off. I don’t use the heater very often, because the vehicle is so well insulated, and always a few degrees warmer than the temperature outside. The last line of defense, on a really cold night, is a warm sleeping bag and a duvet. It’s ironic that winter - the time I need more heat and light - is when my options are fewest. Never mind, I’m used to it now, and, if I’m careful, I can do everything I need to do with the power that’s available.

I listened to Desert Island Discs this morning, while writing (it was an old episode on Radio 4 Extra). The guest - comedian, song-writer and atheist, Tim Minchin - didn’t have much need for either the complete works of Shakespeare or the Bible ("kindling", he reckoned) and couldn’t decide whether his luxury would be his piano or a robot sex doll. When Kirsty Young pressed him to choose one or the other, he plumped for the robot sex doll. I would love to be on Desert Island Discs. Not just to play snippets of my favourite songs, but mainly for the opportunity to discuss robot sex dolls with Kirsty Young…

Prospect House, Derek Jarman's home on the shingle of Dungeness...


No comments:

Post a Comment