Monday 11 January 2016

Ground Control to Major Tom...

Woke up to the news that David Bowie has died. I know he’s a major figure in modern music, because everyone on Radio 5 Live is saying so. But Bowie was - and remains - a blind spot in my musical upbringing. I just didn’t get it. Hunky Dory I liked - Changes in particular - but not much else. He appropriated the singing voice of Anthony Newley and, chameleon-like, adopted many different personas from the dressing-up box of androgyny. But his costume changes - and voice - seemed too mannered for my tastes, aimed at shocking Middle England: a rather facile ambition, I thought, like shooting fish in a barrel.

Bowie’s songs helped to define the last five decades, and I appreciate that a lot of people will be heartbroken at today’s news. There’ll be plenty of his songs played on the radio… though I think I’ve had my fill of uncritical hagiography already… and it isn’t even breakfast time…

No comments:

Post a Comment