Sunday 27 March 2016

Portree...

Portree is quite a bustling little town (at least in comparison with communities in the Western Isles), with pastel-coloured houses overlooking the harbour. Lots of Chinese and Japanese people about, taking pictures with their phones and selfie sticks. Boats leave from here, offering trips to see the sea eagles… but I think I saw one anyway…

I’ve had a wander round the island, getting a few pix in between the rain showers. Uig is where the CalMac ferries dock, on arriving from Tarbert on Harris; nearby is the Bakur Bar. I followed the sign around the back of the building; even when I got to the door it looked as if the place was closed for winter. Then I saw somebody move inside. The bar was open after all, with half a dozen guys - and one pugnacious woman - propping up the bar, drinking beer and whisky chasers and swearing extravagantly.

After a few minutes one guy pretended to see me for the first time and “apologised” for all the swearing. “No fucking problem on my account”, I said. I’m told I swear quite a lot, but at least I don’t pretend to apologise for it (then carry on swearing even more loudly)…


No comments:

Post a Comment