Saturday 25 February 2017

Whitehaven...

Waking up in an empty, rain-drenched car park in Egremont, in February, may not be everyone’s idea of the perfect Saturday morning. But, looking on the bright side, I don’t have to watch cheerful celebrities on breakfast TV, there’s no chance of stepping on a Lego brick with bare feet, and I don’t have to go shopping at some hypermarket sited conveniently in the middle of nowhere.

I’ve driven five miles up the coast to Whitehaven, which looks better in the rain than down-at-heel Egremont. The Georgian buildings, painted in pastel colours, have a faded grandeur; it was obviously a very wealthy port in its heyday. Without distractions I’ve written a thousand words already this morning - that’s my minimum quota for rainy, non-photographic days - and now it’s time to take a stroll on the front, by the harbour, and find some breakfast…

No comments:

Post a Comment