Tuesday 7 March 2017

Gibberish...

I’m reading a book on my Kindle: The Experience of God, by David Bentley Hart. As an apologist for religion, he gives the atheist authors a hard time. Fair enough. But he’s a terrible writer. Here’s a sample…

“It is worth considering, for example, at least as a thought experiment, whether either the metaphysical remains of mechanistic thinking or something more like the Aristotelian understanding of the relation between form and matter - or between actuality and potentiality - provides us with a self-evidently more coherent way of portraying to ourselves the relation between the incommensurable worlds of phenomenal objects and the quantum events”. Worth considering? Hell, why not?

If I wanted an example of how not to write, about complex matters of faith, doubt, theology and atheism, here it is. I will keep it by me as I write, as an object lesson in incomprehensibility…

Wasdale farm...

No comments:

Post a Comment