Monday 28 August 2017

Kenmare...

I’m in Kenmare, County Kerry, having worked for three hours on my book. Early in the morning, when my brain is relatively nimble, the job seems do-able, not the impossible task it can look like later in the day.

The locals are friendly… almost to the point of self-parody, a cynic might say (but not me). Their greetings sound so genuine and solicitous that I’m tempted to offer a litany of ailments and complaints in return (a temptation I’ve so far resisted). Even the usual platitudes are delivered with panache, and a lip-smacking love of language.

The sun came out for a couple of minutes yesterday afternoon; I thought I was hallucinating. I haven’t come to Ireland just to drink Guinness and chat with the locals, and I’m suffering from sunlight deprivation. The camera’s in the van, gathering dust. Until I take some pix, I won’t feel my Irish jaunt has really begun.

I just called into a photographic gallery, and saw some gorgeous landscape pix, all taken within a few miles of Kenmare. The guy behind the counter was the guy who’d taken the pix. He reckoned today and tomorrow will continue to be drizzly, but that I might get a glimpse of the sun on Wednesday…

Hmmm... drugs... I might be tempted to investigate those bags on the quayside...


No comments:

Post a Comment