Tuesday 19 March 2019

Big city blues...

Having left the van at the Park & Ride at Moor Allerton, I got a bus into Leeds. It’s only since I’ve had the Romahome that I’ve used this facility; it’s easier than driving a bulky vehicle into town and trying to find a parking space. Leeds was busy. For the last five years I’ve tended to stop at small market towns, so a few hours in the big city represented sensory overload. The city has changed so much, making me feel like a hick from the sticks. A lady looked lost. Fortunately she was trying to get to City Square; otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to help.

There was something I wanted to buy - a particular brand of slow cooker - so I wandered around Debenhams and Curry’s and House of Fraser. In a men’s clothing department a sign welcomed me to the ‘new season’ of clothes. What, men’s clothes have a season? Who knew? A seductive image in the women’s department was promoting “The new blotted lip… introducing pillow pout.” Huh?

An old Japanese man was singing Elvis songs to a backing track (he was rather good), and another old guy was carrying a sign, informing the citizenry of Leeds that 'Jesus Christ will return soon' (not that they took any notice. They were too busy drinking cups of fancy coffee and staring at their smartphones). By lunchtime the noise and the clamour was too much for me. Having spent nothing - apart from dropping some money into a busker’s hat - I took the bus back to the Park & Ride…

No comments:

Post a Comment