Tuesday 10 September 2019

Public/private spaces...

I was shooting pix outside St Stephen’s shopping mall in Hull when I was approached by a member of the security team (he’s the guy in my pic with his hand outstretched) who told me I was on private property and photography wasn’t allowed. The public are allowed - in fact, encouraged - to venture into into these private spaces, but only in the role of compliant consumers; in any other guise we may find ourselves excluded. If we’re carrying a wallet, we’re welcome; if we’re carrying a camera, we’re not. I wasn’t even inside the shopping centre, but on the pavement outside.

I’ll go back to the shopping centre, next time I’m in Hull, and resume my picture-taking. I would like to test the powers of the mall security guys. If they threaten to call the police, I’ll say “OK, go ahead”. These public/private spaces are proliferating in every town, and now include arcades, streets, squares and other open spaces, where we are free to shop, but not sit... comply, but not complain...


No comments:

Post a Comment