Saturday 6 February 2021

Intensive care...

There’s a powerful article, in today’s Guardian, about the conditions inside an intensive care unit, written by a doctor, Rachel Clarke, who works there. It’s chastening to read about the human dramas behind the daily-updated statistics. As if the workload of these frontline medics wasn’t onerous enough already, they now have new adversaries: people who not only believe that Covid is a hoax, but are prepared to turn up at hospitals - with their banners and slogans and conspiracy theories - and harangue the staff. 

As Dr Clarke notes, “For the crime of asserting on social media that Covid is real and deadly, I earn daily abuse from a vitriolic minority. I’ve been called Hitler, Shipman, Satan and Mengele for insisting on Twitter that our hospitals aren’t empty”. And yet, when covid-deniers and anti-vaxxers get sick, they’ll receive the same treatment and care from the staff at our NHS hospitals. 

I finally have a couple of dates for my 2021 year planner, getting my first jab on Monday and my second on April 27. Hooray!

Licenced yesterday: St Mary's Church in Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire…

No comments:

Post a Comment