Friday 7 October 2022

Jack Snipe...

Had my winter Covid jab this morning. I was expecting to wait in line, so took my Kindle along. In fact I was in and out of Howden Medical Centre in two minutes flat: back on the street even before I’d put my fleece back on. I decided to have a wander round North Cave Wetlands. The blustery weather kept most of the waders away. But not all…

Some guys in the turret hide were looking for a jack snipe, which they’d heard was “about”. It's an uncommon winter visitor to these islands, mostly near the coast. Five and a half pair of eyes scoured the reedbeds and water margins, and then there it was. A bit like a regular snipe (and equally beautifully marked), but crouched, with a ‘no neck’ appearance. The most obvious difference was that it bounced up and down, about once every second, as though it was on a spring. Pic: Creative Commons...

No comments:

Post a Comment