Tuesday 7 March 2023

Harriers...

I was alone, yesterday afternoon, in Singleton hide at Blacktoft Sands, watching dark curtains of rain sweep across the reedbeds. I heard wigeons whistling, and a Cetti’s warbler: an explosive song from such a small and reclusive bird. I heard a bittern booming for the first time this year. The birds seem to think that spring has arrived, even though snow is forecast for tomorrow. Then, as the light faded, a barn owl came out to hunt, followed by the female hen harrier which I saw a few days ago. The slimmer build, white rump and graceful flight makes it easy to recognise among the more numerous marsh harriers. I think I'm enjoying my time with the birds more than ever.

Licensed today: St Mary's Church, Hitchin, Hertfordshire…

No comments:

Post a Comment