Sunday 12 November 2023

Oakham...

I’m not the only person to be exasperated by supermarket self-checkouts, and I don’t think I’ve ever had a transaction go so smoothly that human intervention is not required. A lot of the people who work there feel the same. “It doesn’t seem to like bananas”, a guy in ASDA said, with a grimace, as he came to my rescue with a turn of a passkey and a reset of the machine. He returned a minute later to verify that I was old enough to buy alcohol. That “unexpected item in the bagging area” is probably just my frustration boiling over. According to this article in the Guardian, Booths supermarkets are ditching their machines, and going back to human cashiers. Hopefully, other stores will follow their example.

Licensed today: a street-scene in Oakham, the county town of Rutland…

No comments:

Post a Comment