Tuesday 8 September 2015

Resuming my football career...

At 11.15 this morning I was kicking a football about with a young woman called Hannah, on the astroturf football pitch at Ulverston Leisure Centre. It’s not how I’d planned to spend my morning; I’d only gone there for a shower. ”Are you here for the walking football?”, she asked, when I arrived. I said no, just a shower, but then thought… why not? It was something new they were trying, she said, though I’m not sure the word had got round to many of the old geezers in town, as nobody else turned up.

Undaunted by the poor turnout: Hannah had me passing, dribbling and belting the ball into the back of the net. She took a video of me dribbling the ball - with no detectable skill - between a line of cones. "For the website", she said. By noon I was panting. Walking football will be a regular date - every Tuesday, 11.15am - and if a few people turn up, it could be fun, and a bit of exercise. I’ll be back for another go…

No comments:

Post a Comment