Monday 29 August 2016

Reeth Show...

It’s been a year or two since my last visit to an agricultural show in the Yorkshire Dales. I spent a few hours at the Reeth Show today. It’s been that rarest of things: a sunny Bank Holiday. The show was reassuringly familiar: a tent full of vegetables, jams, children’s artwork, adorned with rosettes. Lots of tiny girls on ponies. A fell race. A beer tent that some farmers never left. A man commentating over the Tannoy, who seemed to love the sound of his own voice a bit too much. Stalls selling mud-coloured clothing to the gentry. A hog roast. Displays of old tractors.

The camel race was a bit of a novelty though. I turned to the woman next to me and said "You don't see that everyday". "Only in Yorkshire", she said. Not strictly true, but it made me laugh…

























She would have got my rosette...

























What the hell is this all about?...


No comments:

Post a Comment