Sunday 4 September 2016

Lying Eyes...

Had a day in Ulverston, mostly writing and reading while the rain hammered down. In the evening I ventured out to one of the town’s quieter pubs, to find a guy playing guitar and singing songs. When he’d sung one Jim Webb classic made famous by Glen Campbell - Witchita Lineman - I asked him if he knew the other. I always sing my own version of Galveston, whenever I’m driving to Ulverston, but guitar guy didn’t know it. I still enjoyed the session, though it was slightly surreal to hear some of Elvis Costello’s angrier torch songs reinterpreted as easy listening ballads.

He played an Eagles song, Lying Eyes. Many years ago, when I was a youth leader in Peterborough, I called in at the youth club to find a band rehearsing. A guy said “Have you come to audition?” and, on the spur of the moment, I said yes. He handed me a list of the songs they knew, which included Lying Eyes… so that’s what I sang. Halfway through the song I glanced behind me where the bass player was holding his nose and pulling an imaginary toilet chain. That’s as close as I’ve ever come to musical stardom…

Morecambe Bay...

No comments:

Post a Comment