Wednesday 21 December 2016

Cheers...

Had a couple of restful days in Hartley Wintney with sister Kari, and enjoyed a viewing of old home movies that had been converted from cine to DVD. I ended up in Kettering last night, and popped into a basement bar. It looked, from the outside at least, like the basement bar in Cheers… so it was called ‘Cheers’ too. A few guys were playing pool; they looked a bit out of my league, but I put my money on the table anyway.

Dispensing with my safety game, I tried to pot every ball I could see… and just about every pot I attempted went in. I beat everyone in the bar at least twice. Every opponent wanted to play me for money, but, assuming my lucky streak would end at any moment, I declined. It’s fun, as the years advance, to find a skill - even one as inconsequential as playing pool - that hasn’t waned…


No comments:

Post a Comment