Friday 19 May 2017

Maiden Castle...

Spent the morning taking pix at Maiden Castle, “England’s finest iron-age hill-fort”, according to an information panel. Aerial photographs tell the whole story, with ditches and ramparts creating an impressive fortification. Shooting from ground level is more difficult; I’ll have another go this evening when the sun is lower in the sky.

On my circuit of the earthworks I saw linnets, goldcrests and a pair of stonechats. Then I heard birdsong that I haven’t heard for maybe 40 years. It sounded like a bunch of keys being rattled: unmistakably a corn bunting. These tubby finches have declined in number over recent years, due to loss of habitat, so it was good to see one singing from the top of a fence post.

In the meantime I’m back at Poundbury for a leisurely stroll with my camera. I popped into the Duchess of Cornwall pub for a pint of Peroni. “That’ll be £5.05”, said the barmaid. Would I like a receipt? Of course... as a souvenir of the most expensive pint of beer I’ve ever bought…

Poundbury...

No comments:

Post a Comment