Saturday 8 July 2017

Gloucester Quays...

The moment I turned the corner into the car-park, I was itching to photograph the renovated warehouses overlooking Gloucester Quays. I had a wander in the afternoon, another tour, with the tripod, at dusk, and this morning I was up early for more pix… while the quays were quiet.

Gloucester Quays remind me of Salford Quays, though it’s much more compact; the upmarket apartments, shops and restaurants promote a familiar, aspirational, “you’re worth it” lifestyle. There are bars and restaurants (mostly ersatz versions of international cuisine), but nothing as common as a pub. I had the place to myself when I had a cheapish early evening meal at an Indian eatery. Without any prompting from me (I have a rule never to antagonise anyone who has the opportunity to gob in my food), the proprietor tried to convince me of the superior nature of Islam. He decried the drinking of alcohol even as he brought me a beer!

I nodded politely as he insisted on a Muslim’s right to have more than one wife, if he is particularly “powerful” (I presume he meant highly sexed). I told him I had read the Koran, without volunteering a review, and left without leaving a tip…

The Mariners' Church, Gloucester Quays...


























Warehouses overlooking the canal basin...


No comments:

Post a Comment