Wednesday 8 May 2019

Doing the impossible...

It must be twenty years since I last owned a TV, and - like son Chas - have no plans to get another. From the little I see, the quality of the programming seems to have fallen even further in that time. I understand the urge to ‘switch off’ and stare mindlessly at a screen in the corner of the room, but I am convinced that the broadcast output is stealing our brain-cells. I can hear them popping… like bubble-wrap.

My only regret is that I miss a lot of sporting occasions. Which is why I went to a pub last night, in nearby Howden, to watch Liverpool get trounced - again - by the might of Barcelona. Already 3-0 down from the first leg, in Spain, Liverpool were reckoned to have no chance of making it to the final of the Champions League. A glorious defeat was the best-case scenario. But Barcelona didn’t turn up, Messi was kept quiet, and, one by one, the goals went in. Ten minutes from the end of the game, Trent Alexander-Arnold took a cheeky corner, catching the Barcelona defence flat-footed, which Divok Origi diverted into the roof of the net. Liverpool had done the impossible - winning 4-3 over both legs - and now they’re in the final!

Another busy day, down at Goole Docks...

No comments:

Post a Comment