Wednesday 24 June 2020

Buy me a beer...

I’m very happy that pubs are to re-open on July 4. Well, some of them. I can’t see how the micropub in Howden, for example, will be able to keep trading… unless it can put tables and chairs on the pavement, French-style. Other pubs will see July 4 come and go, because they’ll never open again. I have no plans to visit any pub that day; the ambience might be rather febrile. Maybe a quiet pub, mid-week, with a capacious beer garden. We have to keep reminding ourselves that coronavirus is as contagious today as it was back in March. My main concern is that, once they become uninhibited after a few pints, people will forget about keeping their distance…

Licensed today: the view from Dunwich Heath, across the reedbeds of Minsmere nature reserve...

No comments:

Post a Comment