Sunday 7 June 2020

Sandals and shorts...

When the temperature rises, I swap my walking boots for sandals and trousers for shorts. Apparently, this puts me in the vanguard of fashion, because, according to the writer of this article in the Guardian, shorts for men “are enjoying a renaissance”.

“The display of the elongated leg, from ankle to crotch has, in recent fashion history, almost wholly been the preserve of womenswear. It feels radical to see men playing with these proportions,” says Andrew Groves, professor of fashion design at the University of Westminster. “Suddenly, short shorts seem highly inappropriate, almost profoundly shocking to see.” The shock is the presentation of a male leg in “a highly sexualised and eroticised manner”.

Kati Chitrakorn, the retail and marketing editor of Vogue Business, thinks men are embracing their sexual empowerment: “They’re celebrating a super-sexualised Adonis, relating to their own bodies again as a tool of seduction”. I’ve noticed women eyeing me up recently - a woman behind me in the queue for the butchers actually fainted - and now I know why.

Another delivery pic...

No comments:

Post a Comment