Thursday 9 July 2020

Haircut...

By the time she arrived at her barber shop, at 9am, the hairdresser found half a dozen guys waiting for what looked to be their first - and much-needed - post-lockdown trim. When it was my turn, I put on my mask, sanitised my hands and waited while she decontaminated the chair, scissors, comb and clippers, changed her disposable plastic apron and adjusted her clear plastic face shield. I wrote my name and telephone number on a clipboard, along with my inside-leg measurement and latest audited sperm count. It was good to resume the traditional barber shop badinage: “Going anywhere this year?” A number 2 buzz cut transformed the wild-haired ‘mad professor’ look into something tidier. I spurned the opportunity to look at the back of my own head, and, stuffing the mask back into my pocket, walked back into the cobbled alleyways of Howden.

Holy Trinity Church in Hull, now open for 'personal prayer': the perfect opportunity to thank the creator of the universe for gifting us a global pandemic, while neglecting to provide the cure...


No comments:

Post a Comment