Monday 4 April 2022

Sea shanties in Beverley...

Had a busy - and productive - weekend with my camera. Of course, my idea of a full day taking pix is no longer 9 till 5 (or till 6 or 7) and by mid-afternoon I’m ready for a sit-down and a glass of something cold and wet. By the time I put the camera back in the bag yesterday, I was next to Beverley Minster, so I called into the Sun Inn, nearby, to find the place full of old folk with ukeleles. Yes, the Beverley Ukelele Group were getting ready to perform, so I sat back and listened to what they had to offer.

First came the sea shanties. It’s hard to imagine a less likely crew of a whaling ship than these old biddies, who sang so lustily about hoisting the mainsail and hauling the anchor, while dreaming wistfully of home. They may not have had much first-hand experience of “rum, sodomy and the lash”, but they were having a great time. We got songs of adolescent love - more cognitive dissonance there - by Buddy Holly and the Everley Brothers. A notice in the pub window gave advance warning of upcoming events. This coming Wednesday, for example, the Trappist Monks will be taking the stage. No joke. As the landlord of the Sun Inn told me, “they make quite a racket, apparently”. That was a joke.

The pic is of South Dalton, yesterday…

No comments:

Post a Comment