Friday 12 May 2023

Ellerker...

“We have so many prejudices, conclusions and opinions. We have knowledge about so many factors, and these prevent perception. If I want to understand what you are talking about, I must listen. To listen implies that there is no interpretation but actually listening. That implies that while I am listening there must be no comparison with what I have already learnt. You may be saying something entirely different, so I must have the capacity and art of listening, otherwise I can’t understand what you are talking about. In the same way, is it possible to observe clearly, without any image, what is going on outwardly and inwardly? This means to observe without any conditioning – as a Christian, communist, hippy or square, or what you will – to listen so completely, see without any form of distortion. Is that possible? It is only possible when I know all my prejudices, the formulas I have, the conclusions, the opinions I have gathered, becoming aware of those and putting them aside. Then I can listen, then I can observe” (Krishnamurti).

St Anne's church, in the East Yorkshire village of Ellerker...

No comments:

Post a Comment