Sunday 16 August 2015

War...

Spent a morning taking pictures in the village of Lacock, but had the misfortune to coincide with a rather bizarre event, called ‘Lacock at War’. A field was full of old military vehicles - there was a charge to get in, so I didn’t bother - and the village itself was awash with people in uniform (World War II vintage… rather than archers or halberdiers). Most of the men looked very comfortable playing at soldiers and carrying weapons, which no doubt play important roles in their active fantasy lives.

Strange to be nostalgic about the Second World War (“the last good time this country ever had”, according to Richard Brautigan, in A Confederate General from Big Sur… though maybe he was thinking about the American Civil War). It was startling to see Allied soldiers fraternising with Nazis (I assume the SS officers were National Trust personnel; maybe they dress like this every day. In fact, I’m sure they do. Jackboots). The locals gave the Nazis a warm welcome. Collaborators!

I was a bit disappointed, frankly. To illustrate a theme like ‘Lacocok at War’, I was hoping that two armies might assemble, one at either end of the village, rifles loaded with real bullets. They could have dashed in and out of Lacock’s medieval streets, or posted snipers in the top windows of Lacock’s half-timbered buildings, until the last man was left standing. The result would have been carnage, of course, with blood flowing through the streets of this picture-postcard National Trust village, but it might have given impressionable youngsters a more realistic idea of what war is actually like.

I was in 'Nam last night. Chippenham... where I found a comfy little pub with good beer. I was served by a raven-haired barmaid, who handed over each pint with a smile and “here you are, my lovely”, which is why I had more beer than I’d planned.  Yes, I know. She says that to everyone. But still…

Crossed the Severn Estuary this morning, on the toll bridge, with the sun glinting off the broad river. In Wales now… so the fun stops here…

Lacock...

No comments:

Post a Comment