Tuesday 27 February 2018

Seasons...

I’ve always thought that spring started on March 21st, a day before my birthday. Now I learn that it depends on whether you follow the astronomical or meteorological seasons. This year, if you use the astronomical model, spring will start on March 20th and end on June 21st. But if you follow the meteorological calendar, then spring runs from March 1st to May 31st. Using this system the seasons are defined as: Spring (March, April, May), Summer (June, July, August), Autumn (September, October, November) and Winter (December, January, February). It all seems rather academic while I’m in Halifax, watching the snow fall…

Licensed this pic today, of the Drunken Duck, near Ambleside. For maybe thirty years, writers looking to recommend a good Cumbrian pub have chosen either the Drunken Duck or the Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank (though neither would make my top ten)...

No comments:

Post a Comment