Wednesday 21 February 2018

Writing...

Writing ‘on the road’ is surprisingly easy: just park up somewhere, open up the laptop and get to work. There doesn’t need to be a splendid view; a lay-bye will do (especially if it has a mobile snack-bar). It helps if I’m not online, so I’m not tempted to scan my emails, read the Guardian or check - yet again - to see if I’ve licensed any more pictures. Any facts which require checking I highlight in red, so I can scan through the text, and make corrections, when I’m next online.

Two or three hours writing represents a good session (and, anyway, that’s about all I get from the laptop these days, before it needs recharging). If I’m slightly disorientated when I emerge from the van, that’s generally a favourable sign: it means that I’ve been engrossed in the writing. One day, when my habits are more sedentary, I may find it hard to compose my thoughts in the comfort of my own unsightly home. Me and my laptop may have to seek out a congenial lay-bye instead…

No comments:

Post a Comment