Saturday 2 July 2022

Rain stopped play...

As we entered the county ground at Taunton, for the test match between England Women and South Africa Women, I opened my backpack for inspection. The guy pulled out my Swiss Army knife with a quizzical look. I said I always kept it in my bag, in case I needed to tighten a screw, loosen a nut, open a bottle of wine or remove a stone from a horse’s hoof. He looked at the knife, then looked at me, and said “Do you promise not to take it out of your bag?” I assured him that I wouldn’t… and that was that. I am now, officially a harmless old geezer.

The game itself, though marred by the weather, was a lot of fun. The pic is from the last day, when the crowd was so sparse that I was able to exchange a few pleasantries with every single person in the stands. All results were possible until the rain came; in the end it was the weather that won…

No comments:

Post a Comment