Friday 13 December 2019

No miracle...

A fitful night, drifting in and out of sleep, as I listened to the election results. I’m not sure why I bothered. As soon as I switched on the radio, at 10pm, I heard that the exit polls predicted a Tory landslide… which was a bit like picking up an Agatha Christie who-dunnit, only to find, on page one, that “the butler did it”. Thousands of pollsters had stood in the rain outside polling stations, asking people how they had voted… for the sole purpose of letting us know the result about twelve hours before we were going to know it anyway. That doesn’t seem like a very good use of resources and so many people’s time.

As anticipated, my vote didn’t count for much in Haltemprice and Howden, where David Davies held onto his seat with an increased majority. He won 62% of the vote, the Labour candidate just 21% (in 2017 the figures were 61% and 31% respectively).

Licensed today: the Unicorn, once a coaching inn and now a Wetherspoon pub, in the marketplace, Ripon...


No comments:

Post a Comment